Thursday, October 21, 2004

The first bit

On October 7th, 2002 after dropping Emma & our dog off at my parent's house, Jack & I drove to Edmonton. We spent the night at a nice hotel, had a good meal, and joked that this would be the last time we would ever be alone together... This has turned out to be the truth!!

I was up all night worried about the inducement and very uncomfortable. I had the worst heartburn ever and took my very last (self administered) insulin shot.

October 8th, 2002: We had our wake up call at 6:00am and the hospital called our cell phone at around 7:00am to confirm that we had to be there by 8:00am. We checked out of the hotel ad went for breakfast due to nerves I was only able to choke down 1/2 a bagel. Jack was already getting on my nerves - it was going to be a long day.

We arrived at the hospital shortly after 8:00am. I was admitted and we went up to labor & delivery. After a quick exam I was told that I was not effaced or dilated at ALL and that they would be starting me on the synthocin (sp?) drip right away. I was scared and excited. Jack was a little wired after drinking at least 8 cups of coffee. They started my IV (the nurse I had was a little brutal and not so gentle but whatever) and finally got it going.

There was a little scare with the IV machine as it kept beeping and flashing that there was air in the line. Jack freaked out a little and the nurse came and - I swear to God - gave the machine a whack and said these machines always did that. We made her check the line anyway.

So they started the drip at 6mg and explained that they would then increase the dosage by 6mg every 15 mins until I was in active labor. I was also told that I had to check my blood glucose every hour. It was about 9:00am.

Talk about anti-climactic... By around noon I was starting to feel some tiny cramps ot even comparable to pms... The nurse came to check me and told me I was progressing fine. They provided me a crappy (even by hospital standards) lunch that consisted of beef broth weak tea and lime Jell-O (ugh...) and I was allowed to drink as much water as I wanted.

Time was standing still - Jack kept sneaking out for new magazines and real food... ARGH!! I was starving but the nurse assured me that I would get nauseous and gave me another cup of ice chips. I hated that nurse.

At about 1:00 after my latest glucometer reading I was told that my glucose levels were way too high and that they would have to start me on an insulin drip as well. This would mean another IV. Same arm higher up. I just hate needles.

My Doctor came at about 1:30pm to check me. I was still not feeling any contractions - she gave me the option of breaking my water to speed things up. I said yep let's do it. It was not pleasant at all but over fast. I was assured that this would really get things going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogsCanada
this site listed on
blogwise
www.blogwise.com
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
My Ecosystem Details